SPF record Syntax Update

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Jul 17 20:33:00 UTC 2009

A person wrote me off list to say that it worked for them. I
went to a different FreeBSD platform that happens to be the
actual one that hosts our DNS and tried it there and it worked
perfectly. I even verified that it is in the zone.

	So, what we have is a broken system on the one I usually
use:

$ host -tspf posse.okstate.edu

host: invalid type: spf

On the other system:

$ host -tspf posse.okstate.edu

posse.okstate.edu has SPF record "v=spf1 ip4:209.235.101.208/29 -all"

The problem system had an old nsupdate from bind9.3 from
February 13 of 2007 and an old host utility from the same date.
Both have been completely removed so they are not an issue but
nothing has changed. The host and nsupdate utilities were built
along with bind95.1P2 on July 10 so they are fresh.

	Any other ideas as to what to look at?

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick