bind9 behind firewall stopped responding

Fr34k freaknetboy at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 13:27:04 UTC 2009

If the DNS server now has a RFC1918 IP address, then one will probably have to setup appropriate NAT rules for a publicly accessible/routable IP address.
On some firewalls, there is a NAT rule for incoming traffic and a another rule for outgoing traffic  (basically mapping the public IP for both incoming/outgoing).

Sounds like this was done, so perhaps double check both incoming and outgoing rules and setup?
Maybe something missed with the IP config (gateway, mask, broadcast)?
Can the DNS server ping or traceroute to any public sites?

HTH