Creating a CNAME to another domain.

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Jul 28 17:48:34 UTC 2009

Ezra Taylor wrote:
> Hello All:
>                How can I create a CNAME that points to another
> domain.  Example below.  Is the below example possible?
>

> stars.mydomain.com <http://stars.mydomain.com>     IN    CNAME
> stars.otherdomain.com <http://stars.otherdomain.com>.

If stars.mydomain.com is just an ordinary name in the mydomain.com zone,
then there is no problem with what you show above (except,
syntactically, you need the trailing dot, as was already pointed out).

If, on the other hand, stars.mydomain.com is a *zone*, then it's not
possible, because in that case there would be "apex" records (records
whose name is the same as that of the zone); at a minimum, an SOA and at
least 2 NS records, which are required for each and every zone. When a
particular name owns a CNAME record, it cannot also own SOA or NS records.