Dig shows wrong ip

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Jul 28 18:22:15 UTC 2009

> I recently migrated our old DNS servers to new hardware and BIND 9.6
> installations. One domain is exhibiting some strangeness,
> dns3.potomacnetworks.com. Our main DNS servers are authoritative for this
> subdomain and it should point to 216.250.231.11, however, the whole world
> sees it pointing to 216.250.243.230. Digs against our DNS servers show the
> correct information. I'm stumped, please help me.

Here's your 216.250.243.230 address:

% whois dns3.potomacnetworks.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to
http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Server Name: DNS3.POTOMACNETWORKS.COM
   IP Address: 216.250.243.230
   Registrar: REGISTER.COM, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.register.com
   Referral URL: http://www.register.com

So - the GTLD-servers know about this host, and will return it when
asked about A for dns3.potomacnetworks.com.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no