mysterious wedges in bind9

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed Jun 3 02:33:42 UTC 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 4:52 PM, travis+ml-bind at subspacefield.org wrote:
> My primary bind9 name server which does double-duty as a server and
> recursive lookup
> is becoming "wedged" where it does not respond to queries or stop
> events from rndc.
> Sending SIGTERM does not work; I have to SIGKILL (kill -9) it.
>
> Package info:
> ii  bind9                 1:9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubun Internet Domain Name
> Server
>
> OS:
> Ubuntu 8.10

We've seen this exact issue with another Ubuntu build of BIND, from I
believe either Ubuntu 8.04 or 7.10. The solution was to build BIND
from source code.

If you can, it's best to build a .deb package from the source code, so
that later versions of BIND from Ubuntu will not overwrite your build.
If you do this, make sure you compile it with the same configure
options as Ubuntu (or really, Debian) uses, but be sure to not use any
patches they apply to their build.

If you don't want to build a deb package, then you should probably
copy your config to somewhere like /usr/local/etc, adjusting paths
inside named.conf (and included files) as needed, and install your
BIND to /usr/local also (which is the default behavior). Then rename
and adjust the init script in /etc/init/bind9 (rename it to something
like bind9-local). This way, subsequent operating system updates won't
ever overwrite your version, even if you accidentally re-install the
bind9 package.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice