Trying to understand DNSSEC and BIND versions better

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 08:50:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 08:37:52PM -0700, Chris Buxton wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2009, at 7:01 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
>> Once upon a time, Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com> said:
>>> On the other hand, the builds from the Linux vendors have been less
>>> than perfectly stable at moderately high levels of traffic.
>>> Rebuilding
>>> from stock source code has always fixed this problem. We've seen this
>>> problem with both the Red Hat build and the Debian build.
>>
>> What do you mean by "moderately high levels of traffic"?  We run RHEL 5
>> and its build of BIND with no troubles.  I don't really see anything
>> in
>> the source RPM for BIND that would cause it to be any more or less
>> stable than a build from the standard distribution (modulo stability
>> bugs in specific BIND versions itself).
>
> I can't really be any more specific than I have been - the servers in
> question are not our servers, and I'm not able to analyze the source
> code of the patches and of BIND to see what might be causing problems.
>
> A few of our customers, running servers that they describe as
> experiencing high traffic (by their own standards), have had to have us
> rebuild BIND from the stock source code for them to solve frequent
> crashing during such high traffic episodes. Frequent in this case
> typically means that named either just dies or dumps core within a few
> seconds of starting up.

Have you ever reported the problems to the Red Hat or Debian bug
tracker? Generally you don't have to be experienced programmer. Your
bug report can contain, for example, "named crashed with this INSIST
failure: ..." only. Your vendor will ask you more information if
needed.

> The Red Hat BIND SRPM applies a variety of patches that have been back-
> ported from later versions. These patches appear to not be 100%
> compatible with the older code they use as a base. When we have torn
> apart the SRPM, replacing the base source code and disabling all patches
> except the one that changes the path to the PID files, and then rebuilt
> the RPM, the result has been able to hold up for these customers. In such
> cases, we're not changing the configure options, we're installing the
> result on the same servers that are falling over with the RH-supplied
> version, and the result is a server that runs and doesn't crash or dump
> core.

I don't think patches are incompatible. As I wrote above please open a
bug report if you think they are.

I think it is a good idea to use package from your vendor because
you don't have to watch bind-announce, don't have to compile each
time when bind is updated etc. You can simply run "yum update" or
"apt-get upgrade" and you can be sure you have software without
security issues. But feel free to compile named yourself if you prefer
this approach.

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.