Multiple reverse lookups on WS 2003 DNS

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Jun 12 18:42:58 UTC 2009

I don't see where you're using BIND. This is a BIND forum, not a forum
for MS DNS.

It sounds like, if you are actually using MS DNS, the client machines
are having to send their own updates. Since the new user of the IP
doesn't own the old PTR record, he doesn't have permission to delete
it. The solution is to have the DHCP server manage the PTR records via
dynamic update, rather than the end users.

If you are using BIND, it sounds like a defect in whatever software is
sending the dynamic update (either the Cisco DHCP server or the client
machine's IP stack).

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice