Questions about DNAME records

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Fri Jun 19 16:40:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 07:58:31AM +0100, Braebaum, Neil wrote:
> I'm happy with the concept of views, and have used them previously.
>
> Ideally, though (as Chris mentioned) I don't want to have to manage zone
> data for the externally used domain, both on my name servers, and those
> where it's really provided - on a managed service, hosted and provided
> externally.

When I've used a managed service, I use a locally managed stealth
server, for just the reasons you name.  With views, it makes the whole
thing easier to manage.  How do you manage on a manged service?  Some
kind of klunky Web GUI?  [Adjective my opinion only ... but, really!]

> Having never used DNAME records before, I was really just curious as to
> whether I could use them to kind of simply deal with a small number of
> records for purely internal usage, without interrupting our internal
> resolution of the public names.

DNAME records aren't universally implemented, outside of BIND itself.
Certain uses of them are deprecated, leading others to believe that
DNAME records themselves are deprecated and experimental.  And others
just hate them period.

Or I could be out of touch ...  I had to double-check my memory on that
one.

> But Chris's suggestion of subdomains looks to be very useful - many
> thanks for that.

That is probably the best way to go.  Being a literalist, for better or
for worse, I just took exception to the word "only".  ;-)

--
**