SPF/TXT records

Fr34k freaknetboy at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 17:20:37 UTC 2009

Hello,

Do I dare comment on this? Okay, I do...

RE: Advogato:
If security was easy and conveinent, then everything would be secure. Someone tell Advogato!
Advogato is complaining because they want an unmanagable environment of dynamic outbound relays and expect SPF, static DNS records, to keep up.
Solution: SPF has syntax in place to suggest to the destination MTA that email might come from other sources.
Or, just don't use SPF because it will not work in such an enivornment.
Friends don't let friend forward email -- with or without SPF, but that's another story.
Either way, nothing is wrong with SPF and Advogato needs to stop complaining about it when he/she is setting SPF up to fail.

RE: Circlied:
Yes yes yes. Welcome to real life. Jerks will be jerks and there's nothing to stop them from calling/emailing/FAXing scams to the world be abusing the same methods honest folks sue.
SPF is not here to solve everything. SPF add another layer abuse prevention.
No one should blindly accept email just because it passes SPF checks. I feel for any email users for a system configure as such - yuck!
Solution: Use all email best practices, including filters, RBLs, monitoring logs, PTR checks, user complaints, etc., and SPF as appropriate for the administrator's environment.

None of this is an attack on you, Jeff, and I would hope you realize that but I want to mention it to be sure.
I realize you are sharing info on other view points and I appreciate that. In light of this, I had to share mine.

Thanks.