Trouble With One Domain

Andy Shellam andy-lists at networkmail.eu
Fri Jun 26 17:24:06 UTC 2009

> Why should we change the master server in the SOA record from oxygen,
> when oxygen is the real master?  It is a "hidden" master.  I believe
> that it is the CNAME that is causing zonecheck.fr to fail.  The
> zonecheck.fr utility does not fail on our other zones that have a hidden
> master.

I've used domain checking tools before that check that the master server
in the SOA record is actually valid, and judging by the error message
returned by zonecheck.fr, that's what it's doing.

"Unable to find primary nameserver (SOA)"

The NS records do not indicate which is the "primary" so the only way
zonecheck.fr can determine this is from the SOA record.

My guess?  It's trying to find "oxygen.aps.anl.gov." in your NS records,
and it's not there so it complains.  The domain, however, is resolvable.