Bind9.3.5 or 6 on ubuntu

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sat Jun 27 06:12:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 04:40:48PM -0500,
 Martin McCormick <martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu> wrote
 a message of 36 lines which said:

> I read that it is best for them all to be the same
> version of bind.

Strange assertion.

> this one needs to be like the rest rather than introducing new
> unknowns in to the system.

It seems quite backward. Why not upgrading the FreeBSD machines
instead?

But anyway, there is no point in the whole question: the set of name
servers for a domain can be of many versions of BIND and can also
include other, completely different, name servers, such as NSD.

> 	Should I be able to find a Debian package of bind9.3.6?

Maintained? I doubt it.

> The configuration for bind9.3.5 has several
> parameters in it that bind9.5 essentially did not understand:
>
> /etc/bind/named.conf.local:8: unknown option 'allow-query'
> /etc/bind/named.conf.local:38: unknown option 'allow-transfer'
> /etc/bind/named.conf.local:42: unknown option 'check-names'
> /etc/bind/named.conf.local:43: unknown option 'check-names'

These parameters certainly still exist in 9.5.