Using dig for checking domain registration

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Jun 30 19:36:34 UTC 2009

On Jun 29, 2009, at 6:57 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

>> Though I am not understanding the versions, you were using 9.3.6
>> and I
>> am using
>> DiG 9.6.0-P1-RedHat-9.6.0-2.P1
>>
>> Since I am more current than you, I would estimate that the one bug
>> is
>> fixed if it is in your version, of course, that is not the case:
>> dig customtruckgraphics.us NS +trace -4 or -6 @4.2.2.1 +short
>> dig: can't find IPv6 networking.
>>
>> Is this bug is a regression?
>
> 	No.  I just used a older version as that is what ships with
> 	the OS.  I have newer versions installed and I use them
> 	when I need to.  named is always running a current version.
>
>> I am giving it a go to build it on RHEL now, and just pull dig out.
>> Thanks for any other help.

Mark, thanks again, I think one last set of questions...
If I use the method of
	Alternatively do "dig ns parent.zone", then
	"dig +norec ns child.zone @parent-server".

When I get the parent.zone, I will get back all the NS's for the
parent.  Is it correct, in order to not have this be an an issue when
I use @parent-server, I need to make sure that @parent-server also
does not return IPv6?  So just look for A's, and ignore AAAA's ?

Would this only tide me over until IPv4 is no longer user, or will
there always be an IPv4 address moving forward?

I would like to simply build dig with a working version; you used
9.3.6-P1.  I downloaded 9.3.6-P1, ran configure and make, which built
out dig on OS X 10.5.

$./dig customtruckgraphics.us NS +trace -4 or -6 @4.2.2.1 +short
./dig: can't find IPv6 networking

To show I am using the correct version, yet I still get a failure on
the IPv6 hit.
$./dig customtruckgraphics.us NS +trace -4 @4.2.2.1

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1 <<>> customtruckgraphics.us NS +trace -4 @4.2.2.1
;; global options:  printcmd
.			21098	IN	NS	D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
[snip...]
.			21098	IN	NS	F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
;; Received 228 bytes from 4.2.2.1#53(4.2.2.1) in 18 ms

us.			172800	IN	NS	A.GTLD.BIZ.
us.			172800	IN	NS	J.GTLD.BIZ.
us.			172800	IN	NS	C.GTLD.BIZ.
us.			172800	IN	NS	B.GTLD.BIZ.
us.			172800	IN	NS	K.GTLD.BIZ.
us.			172800	IN	NS	I.GTLD.BIZ.
;; Received 308 bytes from 128.8.10.90#53(D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) in 98 ms

./dig: couldn't get address for 'J.GTLD.BIZ': not found

The simplest thing for me would be to build dig out on another machine
of the same architecture, and copy it over, calling it explicitly.  I
can not get that plan to work though.

Thanks.