Hostname Naming Compliance

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Mon Mar 2 06:05:57 UTC 2009

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Mark Andrews wrote:
>>     W_h_e_r_e_ _i_s_ _t__h_e_
>> _h_o_s_t_._n_a_m_e__ _i_n_
>> _t_h_i___s_ ___l_i_n__e.
>>
> The ironic thing is, I don't think that *aesthetically* I favor
> underscores any more than Mark does.
>
> But, to me, it's like a Free Speech thing -- I may disagree with what
> someone says (analogous to not liking their use of underscores in
> names), but at the same time vigorously defend their right to say it.
>
> Since there seems to be no practical problem with using underscores,
> only aesthetic differences, I think they should be allowed, even though
> I personally find them to be ugly.

I would like to see normalized UTF-8 work in DNS across the globe (as it
is/was working fine in several country TLDs) and avoid punycode for IDN,
but that ain't gonna happen.  That horse was beat dead in the IDN
meetings for fear of crashing buggy hardware/software/firmware and
having to update resolvers and rebuild applications built directly with
resolver libraries.  If that's FUD enough to kill UTF-8 in DNS, that's
enough to keep away underscores, right?  ;-)

(Don't answer that, unless you want to take the bait.)

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan                                   -> milli at acmeps.com