Adding records to a domain I don't control for anyone who uses my nameserver

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 2 17:55:46 UTC 2009

In article <goadgr$2au5$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <go6pea$2rua$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Brandon Dimcheff <bdimchef at wieldim.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to configure BIND to add some records to a domain that I
> > don't control, so that anybody who uses my nameserver will have the
> > additional records.  Specifically, I'm trying to add xmpp SRV records
> > so our jabber infrastructure that uses our nameserver can contact a
> > handful of domains properly.  All other records for the domain should
> > work as defined by their authoritative server.
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > dig @127.0.0.1 SRV _xmpp_client._tcp.example.com. should return my SRV
> > record hosted by my server
> > dig @127.0.0.1 A example.com should return example.com's A record by
> > recursive lookup
> >
> > Does anybody have any suggestions?  I've tried a few different things,
> > but none of them seem to have worked.
>
> I don't think you can do this with BIND.  Its database is organized by
> names, not types.  If a server is authoritative for a name, it will
> never recurse for that name.

He could create a local zone for the domain
_xmpp_client._tcp.example.com containing only the SRV record (plus the
necessary SOA and NS records).  That way any lookups for *.example.com
and *._tcp.example.com would get directed to the real example.com
servers.  It's a horrible thing to do, though, to claim authority for
someone else's address space.  What happens when example.com sets up its
own _xmpp_client._tcp.example.com with different data in it?  Who debugs
that?

Sam