BIND logging in a separate node

Jeremy C. Reed Jeremy_Reed at isc.org
Tue Mar 3 17:08:51 UTC 2009

> What I'm trying to do is log /var/bind/named.stats in a separate node.

Note that file name is commonly used for the "rndc stats" statistics-file.
It may be a good idea to use a different name so you don't cause confusion
or conflict.

> So my question is, can I specify the node IP address and the filename in
> the named.conf where I wand to stat_file to write to?
> If not another option is to use syslog for all the logging and then move
> the syslog to a different node. However, I want only bind logging to be
> moved to a separate node. I still want all the other system logging to
> go to /var/adm/messages as usual on the same node. So can I can
> configure either named.conf or syslog.conf or both so that I can move
> the bind logging to a separate box?

For that use the syslog and configure your Solaris 10 syslogger to forward
your logging to a different syslog server. You will have to configure your
syslogger for this. Also in your named.conf's syslog channel, you can use
the "syslog" destination clause to choose which syslog facility to log to
(so you can then configure your syslogger appropriately.)

Maybe someone on this list can share some Solaris syslog.conf examples
here ...