BIND 9 and BIND 8 issue

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Mar 4 04:33:53 UTC 2009

hangan.org.tw is delegated to www.hangan.org.tw and mail.hangan.org.tw,
the glue records that are provided resolve both of those names to the
address 211.21.92.25. I believe BIND 8 considers a glue record to be
"good enough" to serve as an answer, so it returns the glue record. BIND
9, however, is more diligent about trying to get a *better* answer
directly from the authoritative servers.

I can't get any kind of response from the nameserver at 211.21.92.25,
can anyone else (tried with both EDNS0 on and off)?

Having both delegated nameservers resolve to the same address is, of
course, very bad architecture; it means you have a single point of
failure for your entire domain. I'm somewhat surprised that the .tw
registry even allows this.

- Kevin