how to create a private "test." zone?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 4 06:23:15 UTC 2009

In article <goip2j$2a06$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Rui Lopes <rgl at ruilopes.com>
wrote:

> Why isn't bind just following the "example.test. NS plesk.test." RR that
> is inside the "test." zone without removing the forwarders?

Because the point of configuring forwarders is to use them INSTEAD of
following NS records.  Forwarders are generally used when the server
doesn't have direct access to the Internet, so it can't reach the
nameservers named in NS records.

The basic algorithm is this:

If we're authoritative for the zone, return the answer.
If the answer is already cached, return it.
If there's a forward zone for it, obey it (send to its forwarders if
any, otherwise follow NS records).
If there's global forwarding enabled, send to them.
Follow the NS records.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA