$generate lhs problem. Manual needs to be updated.

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Mar 5 03:11:52 UTC 2009

Jeremy,
I don't think the definitions of "rhs" and "lhs" are at issue. What
apparently led the original poster to the wrong solution initially was
the verbiage in the manual stating "Any single *$* symbols within the
*lhs* side are replaced by the iterator value", which implies that "$"
replacement _only_ occurs within the LHS. As Mark confirmed, "$" can
also occur in the RHS, and in fact that's what was required for the
correct solution.

Personally, I wouldn't remove "within the LHS" from the verbiage
completely, otherwise someone will undoubtedly complain about not being
able to perform a "$" replacement in the class, type or TTL fields
(users being users :-)

But, maybe it could be amended to "within the LHS or RHS"...

- Kevin