RHEL and named with DLZ

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Mon Mar 9 17:33:53 UTC 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 2:40 AM, Adam Tkac wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 09:47:07PM -0800, Scott Haneda wrote:
>> Hello, I am trying to get named with DLZ on RHEL.
>>
>> My build line is below, I can start named, and I have base
>> configured it
>> so that it will return a lookup for `dig example.com @localhost
>> +norec`
>> which returns a custom IP I put in to make sure it is really working.
>>
>> So far, I know named is working.
>>
>> I added in dlz "Mysql zone" { ... }
>>
>> rndc and restarting named all work fine, no errors that I can see.
>> But
>> in a successful build on OS X, I was getting a line in the log for
>> named
>> that said"
>> 'Mysql zone' using driver mysql
>>
>> I do not get that on RHEL, and I am not getting answers back for my
>> test
>> zones I have in the database.  MySql is running, I know that much.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> BIND in RHEL5 is based on 9.3 series and DLZ stuff has been merged in
> 9.4 development cycle. It is impossible to get DLZ working with bind
> package that is shipped in RHEL5.
>
> Could I ask you why you can't use SDB, please?
>
> Regards, Adam
>
> --
> Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.

Adam, I believe I used you srpm for bind. people.redhat.com/atkac or
soemthing like it. If that's you, thank you.

I didn't confirm this by trying it, but I read in numerous places that
the current RHEL5 bind didn't work with mysql.
Can anyone that the current RHEL bind-sdb does work with mysql?

If I go to isc.org the most prominant download links I find are for
BIND 9.6.0-P1.
I didn't find at isc.org where they state which version is recommended.
Does anyone know where to find this information?

Thank you,
Brad