SERVFAIL debugging

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Fri Mar 13 20:59:47 UTC 2009

At Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:53:09 -0300,
Leonardo Rodrigues <leolistas at solutti.com.br> wrote:

>     I'm having SERVFAIL problems on some domains. I'm pretty sure it's
> not a bind problem, because everything is working but some few domains.
>
>     I'm already running 9.6.0-P1 ...
>
>     is it possible to, using dig or some other bind tool, to grab
> informations from running BIND and debug exactly why i'm having this
> SERVFAILs ??? At the right moment, the only think i know is that a full
> stop/start will make those domains works fine .... but in some hours, i
> start having SERVFAILs .... and have to stop/start again .........
>
>     is there something i can do to track this and, at least, try to find
> exactly what's happening ?

Please try 9.6.1b1, which we expect to be released next week.  It has a
new experimental feature just for that purpose:

2525.	[experimental]	New logging category "query-errors" to provide detailed
			internal information about query failures, especially
			about server failures. [RT #19027]

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.