subnets combining

Ed Bee db52ebe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 00:47:47 UTC 2009

Hello,
We are moving our DNS from djbdns to bind9 in next few day.

We have  /20 IP range, but in trying to use one named.conf entry it seem we
msising something.

This is what we try do, our example will use 10.1.1.0/20
Applying classless delegation principle (mabe this only work on sub /24 ?)

zone "1/20.1.10.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "dsl.rev";
         ......(other options)
};

(even try 0.1/20.1.10....)

zone file is

$ORIGIN 0/20.1.10.in-addr.arpa.        (every combination tried match
named.conf entry)
$TTL 1D
@               SOA ..... (everything else)

Zones all load but still show NXDOMAIN
dumpdb shows     1.0/20.1.10.in-addr.arpa  etc  which look very wrong ?

We miss something? Surely not have to write named.conf zone entry for every
/24 separate?
Thank you very much for help