zone reload questions

Ralf Peng ralf.peng at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 02:55:07 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm using Bind-9.6-P1, and found something strange about zone reloading.

I have two views, for example, one is cnc, another is tel (the default).
The records for cnc and tel are parsed to two different ISP's links.

Sometime our cnc link is disconnected, at this time I copy cnc's zone
db to a backup file, for example:

cp cnc.zone.db  cnc.zone.db.bak

and copy tel's zone db to cnc's, for example,

cp tel.zone.db cnc.zone.db

Then I reload bind (sbin/rndc reload), all works fine.

But, the problem is, when cnc link is re-connected, I restore cnc's
zone db to the original one, for example:

mv cnc.zone.db.bak cnc.zone.db

and reload bind.

this time things work not fine.
bind didn't load the correct cnc zone (restored from cnc.zone.db.bak),
it kept the old one which was copied from tel's.

in order to let bind reload correctly, I need to do:

cd /usr/local/bind/etc
touch *
/usr/local/bind/sbin/rndc reload

then bind reloads all zones correctly.

Why this happens? is it problematic for automatic SA job?
btw: my name server is: ns.test.duxieweb.com

Thanks.

Ralf.