zone transfer from slave to master not working

John D. Vo jvo at eagle.net
Fri Mar 20 13:56:57 UTC 2009

Greetings fellow bind users:

We have two name servers: ns1, ns2.
We have domain name: let's say abc.com
Management decided to have a dns hosting company hosts that domain. LOL.
Now they want to move that domain back to the ns1, ns2. ($$)
I have changed the dns entries at the registrar to point to ns1, ns2.
Now when I tried to do a zone transfer from ns2 to get the record from
ns1 it does not work.
I think because ns1 is still not yet authoritative for abc.com

My questions:

1. If ns1 is not authoritative for abc.com, ns2 cannot do a zone
transfer from ns1, correct? please confirm.
2. If yes on number 1, then WHY?

Thank you.

-John.

--