zone transfer from slave to master not working

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Mar 20 15:52:27 UTC 2009

In article <gq077q$13q7$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "John D. Vo" <jvo at eagle.net>
wrote:

> 1. If ns1 is not authoritative for abc.com, ns2 cannot do a zone
> transfer from ns1, correct? please confirm.

Correct.

> 2. If yes on number 1, then WHY?

A nameserver declares itself non-authoritative either because it hasn't
loaded the zone at all, or because it detected serious errors when
the second case, it would be transferring an erroneous, probably
incomplete, zone, and this doesn't seem like a good idea; it's better to
have the slaves continue to serve the last known good version of the
zone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA