query (cache) 'coriander.plus.com/A/IN' denied

Ronan Flood usenet at umbral.org.uk
Fri Mar 20 22:25:36 UTC 2009

Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> This suggests one of the following problems:
>
> 1. 95.102.17.107 is pointing to your nameserver in its resolver
> configuration, but your server doesn't allow them to use you as a
> resolver (the IP isn't in your allow-recursion and allow-query-cache
> ACL).
>
> 2. The plus.com zone is delegated to your server, but you're not
> properly configured to serve it.

3. Incorrect behaviour by the resolver behind 95.102.17.107.

I admin an authoritative nameserver which hosts domains with MX records
outside the zones: commercial spam/virus-filtering companies providing
the MXs for their mail customers which are our DNS-hosting customers.
I regularly see queries for the MX records of the hosted domains being
immediately followed by queries for the A records for their out-of-zone
MX servers.  I infer confusion within the resolvers about which
nameservers to query.

--
Ronan Flood <usenet at umbral.org.uk>