Servers loading zones with lower serials

Todd Snyder tsnyder at rim.com
Tue Mar 24 13:50:37 UTC 2009

Good day,

I saw some strange behaviour from BIND and am trying to understand it.

In one of the labs, someone mucked up a DNS change and made the serial
lower than the previous version.

Some of the nameservers complained:

Mar 23 15:07:24 ns1001 named[5913]: zone 5.1.10.in-addr.arpa/IN: serial
number (2008030900) received from master 10.1.1.1#53 < ours (2008062600)

But some others just went ahead and loaded the zone anyways.

One of the servers that loaded the zone was BIND9.2.4

One of the ones that rejected it was 9.4.2-P2

I've done some searching but can't find anything that jumps out at me to
explain this behaviour.  Am I misunderstanding the serials?

Thanks,

Todd.