DNS Appliance

Mike Mitchell Mike.Mitchell at sas.com
Wed Mar 25 19:33:16 UTC 2009

We've used MetaInfo appliances for about four years, and the software version for two years before that.
We have 40 of their appliances now.  Fairly inexpensive, pretty reliable too.  Their tech support has been good, they do seem to care about your problem.  They are good for small to medium sized environments.  I'd look for a different vendor if you need more than 75 appliances.

I've heard good things about BT DiamondIP, but I don't have any direct experience with them.

Several years ago we had a problem where a BIND 8 master was feeding a BIND 9 slave.  An IXFR request would sometimes tickle a bug in BIND 8 where it would send back an IXFR response containing only a start and end SOA record.  These two SOA records with nothing else caused the BIND 9 slave to wipe out its copy of the zone.  That may have been what you saw with the bluecat appliance.

Mike Mitchell