multi-named instance exist?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Mar 26 03:11:42 UTC 2009

dev_null at zoho.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found a strange case on bind server.
> when one named was running, I started another one or more (the same) named server again, they all got started successsfully.
>
> this is the ps output:
>
> nobody    28312     1  0 10:10 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/bind/sbin/named -u nobody
> nobody    28359     1  0 10:16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/bind/sbin/named -u nobody
> nobody    28362     1  0 10:16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/bind/sbin/named -u nobody
>
> But at this time named server behaves not normal.
> for example, I added a NS record and execute rndc reload, the new record could not be queried.
>
> why this happen?

Do you have a wrapper script that checks whether there is already a
named instance running before starting another one?

Starting named manually without some sort of wrapper script like that is
dangerous business, the instances have a high possibility of fighting
with each other over the listen port, with the end result often being
that *none* of them are functional. Look at your logs, you'll probably
find some ugliness there.