multi-named instance exist?

dev_null at zoho.com dev_null at zoho.com
Thu Mar 26 04:58:40 UTC 2009

 > If named is invoked successfully on startup, then the contents of the
 > PID file will be overwritten with the new PID value.
 >
 > If named *isn't* invoked successfully on startup, then that's a separate
 > error condition that should be detected and dealt with, within the whole
 > startup subsystem.
 >
 > The problems with using "ps" to find the named process include:
 > -- you can get false matches if you don't tailor your string matching
 > _just_right_,
 > -- unexpectedly "missed" matches if the command-line arguments change,
 > even a little bit (e.g. if someone bypasses the wrapper script on an
 > emergency basis to start the process manually, with the arguments given
 > perhaps in a different order), and
 > -- since "ps" operates on a constantly-changing data source, it can
 > "miss" legitimate processes in the process table. I've seen that happen
 > many many times with "ps" on Solaris, not sure if Linux or other flavors
 > of Unix have some sort of concurrency-control mechanism to prevent that
 > phenomenon.

I agree all your opitions on ps's drawbacks.
what I said is, kill -0 $PID will return true even the process who owns $PID isn't named.

for example, named.pid wasn't removed after a system shutdown, the value in it is 1234.
after system startup, another process is launched and owns that process id of 1234.

so, this start script will not work:

if kill -0 $PID; then
      :
else