FORMERR resolving AAAA/IN records

Jeremy C. Reed Jeremy_Reed at isc.org
Thu Mar 26 13:19:56 UTC 2009

> Mar 25 08:44:24 myserver named[1124]: FORMERR resolving
> 'auniarael.com/AAAA/IN': 216.69.185.38#53

The negative response includes the optional NS records.

My custom named has logging that says:
	FORMERR: NS name matches domain name.

This new logging is not committed yet. If you have a good suggestion for
improving this specific logging message, please let me know. (Maybe "It
has a referral to itself."?)

The comments in the lib/dns/resolver.c code (where this FORMERR is
coming from) say:

                /*
                 * We already know ns_name is a subdomain of fctx->domain.
                 * If ns_name is equal to fctx->domain, we're not making
                 * progress.  We return DNS_R_FORMERR so that we'll keep
                 * trying other servers.
                 */