DNS forwarding not working properly?

ARMSTRONG, KENNETH KARMSTRONG at BOTETOURTVA.US
Thu Mar 26 14:58:41 UTC 2009

OK, I've been trying my hardest to figure this out.

I have BIND9 installed and set up as a slave to one of our Domain
Controllers (so we can at least still get DNS if it were to go down). It
works fine for transferring the zone file of our domain down, and from
the server running BIND I can resolve hostnames of our local network
machines along with outside names such as google.com (using nslookup,
yeah I know it sucks).

However, when I set up one of my Windows XP clients to use the new
server for DNS, it can resolve local machine names fine when I run
nslookup against it, but it gives me "Query refused" when trying to
resolve an outside DNS name.

I ran nslookup against the ISP's DNS IP's and can resolve the outside
hostnames just fine, but for some reason I can't resolve them against
the new DNS server.

I have not made any modifications to /etc/bind/named.conf. Instead, I
have put my configurations in /etc/bind/named.conf.local (since that is
what the named.conf file says to do).

Here is my /etc/bind/named.conf.local file (protected of course):

Code:

zone "OURDOMAIN.COM" {
       type slave;
       masters {
                192.168.1.22;
                192.168.1.23;
       };
       file "OURDOMAIN.COM.db";
       allow-transfer {
                any;
       };
       allow-query {
                any;
       };
};

zone "192.168.in-addr.arpa" {
       type slave;
       masters {
                192.168.1.22;
                192.168.1.23;
       };
       file "192.168.in-addr.arpa.db";
       allow-transfer {
                any;
       };
       allow-query {
                any;
       };
};

And my /etc/bind/named.conf.options:

Code:

options {
        directory "/var/cache/bind";

        forwarders {
                   216.12.0.20;
                   216.12.48.23;
        };

        auth-nxdomain no;
        listen-on-v6 { any; };
};

Again, this only seems to affect outside clients, I can run queries on
nslookup just fine on the DNS server itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kenny