NXRRSET

Thilanka Samarasekera tsamarasekera at gmail.com
Wed May 6 14:49:55 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am running BIND version 9.2.3 on a Solaris 9 box. Every now and then I
will see the following in my DNS cache:

domain.com.       458     \-AAAA  ;-$NXRRSET

If I force a MX record lookup it does get the correct MX records for "
domain.com". The explanation I have for "NXRRSET" is "Its the number od
queries the name server handled that resulted in responses saying that the
type of record the querier requested didn't exist for the domain name it
specified". If do a MX record look for "domain.com" it does get the correct
entries and caches it for the specified TTL. My question is how do I go
about identifying what's causing my BIND server to cache a query with the
flag "NXRRSET" ?

Thank you in advance