Several basic questions (and yes, I've looked at the documentation on the web)

Mike Toler mike.toler at prodeasystems.com
Mon May 11 22:25:46 UTC 2009

What there is of it.  It seems VERY outdated since, if I understand
correctly, DLZ is now built into bind 9.5/9.6.

I have downloaded and installed the following RPMs to my DNS server,
which is a VM running RHEL 5.2:

bind-9.5.1-2.P2.el5.pp.x86_64.rpm

bind-libs-9.5.1-2.P2.el5.pp.x86_64.rpm

bind-sdb-9.5.1-2.P2.el5.pp.x86_64.rpm

bind-utils-9.5.1-2.P2.el5.pp.x86_64.rpm

I have added the exact DLZ configuration from the DLZ web page, other
than the IP address and userid for the DB.

dlz "postgres zone" {

   database "postgres 1

   {host=int-dbs port=5432 dbname=dns_data user=postgres}

   {select zone from dns_records where zone = '%zone%'}

   {select ttl, type, mx_priority, case when lower(type)='txt' then '\"'

         || data || '\"' when lower(type)='soa' then data || ' ' ||
resp_person || ' '

         || serial || ' ' || refresh || ' ' || retry || ' ' || expire ||
' ' || minimum

         else data end from dns_records where zone = '%zone%' and host =
'%record%'}

   {}

   {select ttl, type, host, mx_priority, case when lower(type)='txt'
then '\"'

         || data || '\"' else data end, resp_person, serial, refresh,
retry, expire,

        minimum from dns_records where zone = '%zone%'}

   {select zone from xfr_table where zone = '%zone%' and client =
'%client%'}";

};

I have created a duplicate of one zone in my Postgres database using the
tables described (Though I used "character varying" instead of "text")

When I start "named" (or "named_sdb", whatever that is??), I see no
reference to any attempts to get to the postgres DB.  No failures, no
successes, nothing.  In another e-mail on the list, I saw logs that
showed the loading of the postgres drivers.  I don't see that in my log
files at all?

So . . .

1.       Is there something other than the DLZ tag that needs to go into
the named.conf to tell it to use a postgres DB?

2.      Is there some library I have not deployed that is required?

3.      Should I be running "named" or "named_sdb"?

4.      (and my real question) can you have both "zone" and "dlz" tags
in the same named.conf?  Our project has a large, static set of DNS
domains and a very small set of dynamic domains.   I'd like to be able
to take advantage of the speed of the flat files, and only hit postgres
for for the dynamic sub-domains and still have only one DNS server.   If
it can't do this, that will just mean I need both static and dynamic
servers.

Here is what my named.conf file looks like:

options {

            directory "/var/named/" ;

            allow-transfer { 172.24.2.0/24; 127.0.0.1/8;};

            check-names master warn;

            datasize 20M;

            max-journal-size 5M;

            dump-file "named_dump.db";

            interface-interval 0;

            max-cache-size 20M;

            memstatistics-file "/var/stats/named.memstats";

            pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";

            query-source address * port 53;

            transfer-source * port 53;

            notify-source * port 53;

            statistics-file "/var/stats/named.stats";

            version "1.8.0";

            zone-statistics yes;

             };

              logging {

             channel named_info {

                 syslog;

                 print-category yes;

                 print-severity yes;

                 print-time yes;

             };

             category client { null; };

             category config { null; };

             category database { null; };

             category default { null; };

             category general { null; };

             category notify { null; };

             category network { null; };

             category resolver { null; };

             category security { null; };

             category update { null; };

             category queries { null; };

             category xfer-in { null; };

             category xfer-out { null; };

             };

controls {

        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndc-key; };

};

key "rndc-key" {

<removed>

};

dlz "postgres zone" {

   database "postgres 1

   {host=int-dbs port=5432 dbname=dns_data user=postgres}

   {select zone from dns_records where zone = '%zone%'}

   {select ttl, type, mx_priority, case when lower(type)='txt' then '\"'

         || data || '\"' when lower(type)='soa' then data || ' ' ||
resp_person || ' '

         || serial || ' ' || refresh || ' ' || retry || ' ' || expire ||
' ' || minimum

         else data end from dns_records where zone = '%zone%' and host =
'%record%'}

   {}

   {select ttl, type, host, mx_priority, case when lower(type)='txt'
then '\"'

         || data || '\"' else data end, resp_person, serial, refresh,
retry, expire,

        minimum from dns_records where zone = '%zone%'}

   {select zone from xfr_table where zone = '%zone%' and client =
'%client%'}";

};

zone "." {

   type hint;

   file "pz/named.root";

};

Michael L. Toler

Sr. System Test Engineer

Prodea Systems, Inc.

214-278-1834 (office)

972-816-7790 (mobile)

This message is confidential to Prodea Systems, Inc unless otherwise indicated
or apparent from its nature. This message is directed to the intended recipient
only, who may be readily determined by the sender of this message and its
contents. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
recipient:(a)any dissemination or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited; and(b)immediately notify the sender by return message and destroy
any copies of this message in any form(electronic, paper or otherwise) that you
have.The delivery of this message and its information is neither intended to be
nor constitutes a disclosure or waiver of any trade secrets, intellectual
property, attorney work product, or attorney-client communications. The
authority of the individual sending this message to legally bind Prodea Systems
is neither apparent nor implied,and must be independently verified.