file descriptors and max-clients-per-query

Philippe Maechler pmaechler-ml at glattnet.ch
Thu May 14 05:53:50 UTC 2009

Hello Everybody

I'm running a bind 9.4.2-p2 and a 9.5.1-P1 both on a FreeBSD 6.x box as
caching servers.
let's call them ns1 and ns2 :P

short after we shutdown server one we get error messages on the other server
-> socket: too many open file descriptors

I tried to recompile named with FD_SETSIZE=4096 as I saw in a earlier
message on this list. today I realized that this compile knob didn't help.

a) how can I check the file descriptor limit for bind on freebsd?
b) how can I increase the file descriptor limits for bind on freebsd?
c) is there an easy way to "trigger" this error? (for testing)

something else that bothers me is the message:
resolver: clients-per-query increased to 105

how can I find out which clients and/or queries and/or remote servers are
responsible for this message?
should I do something about that?

tia

Philippe