Bind is hanging on CentOS 4.4

Jesse Cabral jcabral at mtsolutions.net
Tue May 19 16:55:08 UTC 2009

I have been having an issue with Bind hanging for several months. I am
currently running BIND 9.5.1-P2 on CentOS 4.4 kernel 2.6.9-42.0.3Elsmp as
mail server using MailScanner, Postfix, spamassassin-clamav, openwebmail,
pop-before-smtp.
Binds was hanging with 9.2.4 as well so I upgraded to the current version
above.
It hangs at different times and intervals. The only thing I find in the
messages log is the last entry for named before the hang. Does not appear to
be a memory or resource issue from my review of the system. The only way to
get named running is to kill the pid using kill -9 (pidid) . When named
hangs smtp service fails as it needs named to run properly.
I am wondering if a kernel update is order for BIND to function properly.
Any suggestions to narrow down the root cause ?
Regards,
Jesse Cabral