AW: file descriptors and max-clients-per-query

Philippe Maechler pmaechler-ml at glattnet.ch
Wed May 27 09:48:35 UTC 2009

Thanks for the feedback

> How many sockets are open when you see this message?  Normally the
> socket() call shouldn't fail even if named uses many sockets
> (it will fail anyway, but the failure mode is normally
> different), so it's very odd to see the above message.

As Jeremy suggested we updatet our 9.4.2 Server this week to 9.4.3-P2
Luckily we hadn't a DNS outage so the message didn't reappear.
So I can't say how many sockets where open when we had the message last time

> Are you perhaps limiting the system resource for the number of
> allowable open sockets?  Do you set the 'files' option in
> your named.conf?

Not that I'm aware of :)

$ sysctl -a | grep socket
	kern.ipc.numopensockets: 38
	kern.ipc.maxsockets: 25600
	socket:          356,    25608,     37,   4099, 25140481
	security.jail.socket_unixiproute_only: 1
	security.jail.allow_raw_sockets: 0

The only limits I set in named.conf is ttl-stuff (lame-ttl, max-ncache-ttl,
...), clients-per-query and recursive-clients

If I see the message again I'll let you know.

Philippe