BIND do not listen on udp port 53

Thomas Manson dev.mansonthomas at gmail.com
Thu May 28 13:28:03 UTC 2009

Hi,
I'm using BIND 9.5.0-P2 (on ubuntu server 8.04).

 And the bind server do not listen anymore on the udp port.

I've updated the /etc/bind/named.conf to add a domain, but didn't touch the
/etc/bind/named.conf.options.

On localhost, when I use nmap I can see that the udp port is not listed.

thomas at ns1:/etc/bind$ sudo nmap -sS localhost
[sudo] password for thomas:

Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-05-28 15:17 CEST
Warning: Hostname localhost resolves to 2 IPs. Using 127.0.0.1.
Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
Not shown: 1709 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
25/tcp   open  smtp
53/tcp   open  domain
80/tcp   open  http
953/tcp  open  rndc
9102/tcp open  jetdirect

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.175 seconds
thomas at ns1:/etc/bind$

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on ?

I can't figure out why this stop working as before.

Maybe it's trivial, but as it's not my fulltime job to manage these dns
servers (and have so much other thing to deal with), so help would be
appreciated.

Regards,
Thomas.