System Resolver Test App?

david at from525.com david at from525.com
Wed Nov 11 23:00:03 UTC 2009

All,

It has been a long day so please excuse me if I am over looking something
trivial. I am wondering if anyone knows of an app similar to nslookup or
dig that actually uses the system resolver. I spent a decent amount of time
this morning trouble shooting an issue where a third invalid nameserver
entry within the /etc/resolv.conf (CentOS) cause me much grief. My trusty
tools nslookup & dig failed me because they worked as expected while the
system resolver did not. I am basically trying to uinderstand why the
system resolver was getting stuck on the third entry within the resolv.conf
while it should have tried one of the first two working DNS servers first.

Thanks,

David Porsche