Forwarding updates between views

Chris Hills chaz at chaz6.com
Sun Nov 22 09:49:13 UTC 2009

Hi

I have a zone "example.com" configured in two views, internal-in and
external-in. I have a dynamic zone "dyn.example.com" configured only as
an external zone. Internal clients can lookup hosts in dyn.example.com,
but cannot update ("not authorised") as the updates are matched by the
zone internal-in and not forwarded. Is it possible for bind to forward
the updates from the internal-in zone to the external-in zone? I want to
avoid having to have 2 dynamic zones (faq node/291) for simplicity of
configuration.

The configuration is like so (note local-networks does /not/ include ::1
to allow recursive queries from internal-in to external-in):-

view "internal-in" IN {
   match-clients { local-networks; };
   allow-recursion { local-networks; };
   forwarders { ::1; };

   zone "example.com." {
     type master;
     file "master/example.com.internal.zone";
   };
   zone "dyn.example.com." {
     type forward;
     forward only;