Split view logging?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Nov 23 11:47:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 14:55 -0800, Gregory Hicks wrote:
> > From: Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com>
> > Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:16:18 -0800
> >
> > On Nov 17, 2009, at 7:02 AM, John Horne wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Using BIND 9.5.1, is it possible to configure split view logging -
> > > that is, a separate logging channel/category for different views?
> > > I'm trying to separate out the queries of our local clients from
> > > the external ones.
> >
> > No, not using views. The logging statement, like the options
> > statement, is a singleton statement type.
> >
> > You would have to stand up separate instances of named, with separate
> > configs, to achieve your goal.
>
> Well, not exactly...
>
> I have two views:  "trusted" (hosts on my internal LAN), and "external"
> (hosts external to my LAN).  I want queries logged from my internal LAN
> to /var/log/named.trusted.{0-9} and all other queries to go to
> /var/log/named.external.{0-9}.  I've also got some odd sods and trash
> going to other log files...
>
> First, create a 'pipe' in the /var/log directory with the name of the
> logging file.  (You probably want to do this in the named startup
> script.)  Log absolutely EVERYTHING to the log file.

Wow! Well thanks for that. I can see that your way would work, however I
was hoping for something a little simpler like putting logging stmts
into each view :-) (Perhaps BIND 10?)

Thanks for the reply,

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
University of Plymouth, UK   Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001