Glue record miunderstanding

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Oct 2 02:43:21 UTC 2009

In message <73E2882F-00B3-41CB-B46D-351774486FF2 at conundrum.com>, Matthew Pounse
tt writes:

> On 01-Oct-2009, at 19:03, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
> > So I see my NS is listed in the additional section.  This to me
> > tells me there is in fact glue, so I should consider the report at http://i
> ntodns.com/hostwizard.com
> >  to be inaccurate?
>
> Yeah, I just ran a few queries and can't figure out what exactly it's
> complaining about.
>
> Matt

It's making a observation ("i" in a blue circle) that there were
not additional records for ns1.nacio.com being returned by
ns1.hostwizard.com presumable because ns1.hostwizard.com doesn't
serve the zone that contains ns1.nacio.com.  There is nothing wrong
with this.  These records are NOT GLUE records.  Only parent servers
return GLUE records.

That being said there would be a error condition if the address
(A/AAAA) record for ns1.hostwizard.com didn't exist except as glue.
The way to check for that is to make a query for ns1.hostwizard.com
and follow all the delegations until you get to the zone that serves
ns1.hostwizard.com.

Modern versions of named attempt to detect glue only delegations
and refuse to load zones that contain have them.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org