Bind, dnssec, udp fragmentation woes.

Nicholas Wheeler nwheeler at devis.com
Fri Oct 2 16:55:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 13:22 +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
> You really want to work out what is being blocked, EDNS?, responses
> bigger that 512 bytes? DNSSEC? fragmented responses?  With a clean
> path all of these should succeed but only the last one won't have
> "tc" set.  This does a plain DNS query, a EDNS query that limits
> the response to 512 bytes, a DNSSEC query that limits the response
> to 512 bytes, a DNSSEC query that limits the response to something
> that would not normally be fragmented but exceeds 512 bytes, a
> DNSSEC query that will normally be fragmented.
>
> % dig soa se @192.36.133.107 +norec +ignore
> % dig soa se @192.36.133.107 +norec +ignore +bufsize=512

The above two work, the below four do not work (connection timed out; no
servers could be reached).

(note: I replaced se with my domain.tld, and the @ with my server).

> % dig dnskey se @192.36.133.107 +norec +ignore +bufsize=1200
> % dig dnskey se @192.36.133.107 +norec +ignore +bufsize=512 +dnssec
> % dig dnskey se @192.36.133.107 +norec +ignore +bufsize=1200 +dnssec
> % dig dnskey se @192.36.133.107 +norec +ignore +bufsize=4096 +dnssec
>
> Mark

Thanks for the help, but I don't know what this implies, other than
nothing dnssec-related with udp works ;)

Thanks,

--
Nicholas Wheeler
Systems Administrator