update-policy restricting to a subnet

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Mon Oct 5 16:22:14 UTC 2009

Not to the list but just to you.

I could imagine a system having multiple views defined with only one view
that allows DDNS updates.  The other views would be "read-only".  This
wouldn't be pretty, but ...

In this one view that allows DDNS, you wouldn't be restricted to ONLY "A"
records.  Users would still be able to set up other records too using DDNS.

I have seen this were you have an internal network that you want to allow
the users, client machines, to update the DNS information using DDNS.  But
if they carry their laptop home and connect to the Internet, they will still
try and send a DDNS update to the DNS server but it is rejected by the
server because it is not coming from an internal network address.
(Define "subnet" and "internal network" any way you want.)

Couldn't you have your DDNS updates come from your DHCP server rather than
directly from the client machines?  If you can "trust" your DHCP server to
only do what you want, then you wouldn't have to worry about anything else
updating your data.

For example, if you were trying to manage the "example.com" domain and you
were wanting to allow DDNS to create a record for "x.example.com" with the
address of 192.168.1.10, then the DHCP server for the 192.168.1.0 network
could be explicitly allowed to update the DNS data, but the clients on the
network wouldn't have to be allowed.  And, a client on the 192.168.2.0
network still wouldn't be able to update because they did not get their
address from the DHCP server on the 192.168.1.0 network.

Bill Larson