Nslookup not showng TTL

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Oct 15 09:46:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 10:47 +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 09:06:56AM +0100, John Horne wrote:
> >
> > How can I see the TTL value using nslookup?
>
> I'm not sure how force nslookup to show TTL but the `dig` utility is
> far more better tool for getting such information:

I agree, it's not for me though :-)

I have to teach some Windows people about the DNS, and wanted to show
them that they could use 'nslookup' on either the Linux box provided, or
their own Windows PC's. In this instance the TTL is important. So I was
hoping that the MS and BIND nslookup commands would display something
pretty much similar to each other so as not to confuse the people too
much.

As far as I can tell no BIND 9 nslookup command shows the TTL. I am
currently looking at an 8.2.3 version to see if I can patch the 9.5.1
one to display TTL's again. It may, however, be better to introduce them
to dig rather than having to maintain the nslookup command.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001