Regarding EDNS Responses.

Ashwin ashwins at huawei.com
Wed Oct 28 04:14:29 UTC 2009

Hi All,

 RFC 2671 mentions in Section 5.3

Responders who do not understand these protocol extensions are

expected to send a response with RCODE NOTIMPL, FORMERR, or

SERVFAIL.

However the above mentioned error codes are shared [SERVFAIL, NOTIMPL] are
shared, so how do we ascertain that the error code returned is an indication
that a particular server is non-EDNS, since the error might be returned due
to some other reason also.

So essentially my query is how do we decide that a particular server is EDNS
or not? Can it be assumed that each time the above three error codes are
returned , it signifies that the DNS server is not EDNS capable?

Regards

Ashwin