2 simultaneous hung Bind boxes

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Oct 28 14:37:34 UTC 2009

Nikkilä wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On some of our (linux based) DNS server's the BIND just hangs; the combination was fairly old hardware and fairly new OS/BIND. Couldn't figure it out either until I came up with https://www.isc.org/node/302.
>
> At least you could try it, I found no harm on setting the /proc/sys/net/core/xfrm_larval_drop to 1 just to be on the safe side...

Tommi,

Thanks for the reply.  The boxes are fairly old Dells (1650s) running
FC5.  I'm rebuilding them in 2010.  I'll take a look at that doc and
see.  These servers have generally been rock solid.  The only problem
I've had is with my split view configuration when I update a zone on the
master.  The zone is copied to the slave but only 1 view on each box
gets the updated zone.  I have to restart the named process to make it
re-read the local copy of the zone to get both views on the same serial.
  But I've never had any stability issues to date.  I'll upgrade to 9.6
too just to be safe.

Thanks
  Justin