Forward zone files not working on Bind 9.3.6-P1 for Solaris and OpenSolaris??

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Fri Oct 30 23:04:07 UTC 2009

> No, that won't work. The names in the zone file are all under
> "domain.com", but you're trying to load the zone as simply "domain",
> which is not in the same naming hierarchy; in fact it's a completely
> different TLD (top-level domain).
>
> As well as setting the default $ORIGIN, the name of a zone in
> named.conf also defines the allowable scope of all owner names within
> it. You can't just pick some name arbitrarily, like you can with, for
> examples, "view" or "acl". It actually forms a branch in the DNS
> database; all of the owner names in the zone must then be at or
> underneath that point in the hierarchy.
>
> - Kevin

Many thanks again Kevin, I think I am starting to see this more clearly:

where I have sgd.test basically the .test Bind is trying to use as the
TLD....

so for example a .com address could be such as domain.com where the zone
would then be called 'domain' so then Bind would then see the NS record as:

IN NS ns-m.domain.com.
ns-m.domain.com. IN A 192.168.2.24
sgd.domain.com. IN A 192.168.2.24

such as I pointed out before.

So the question now becomes, since the DNS TLD hierarchy is of format
.com, .org, .co.{country prefix}, .gov etc....

Bind itself won't be able to use my .test setup at all will it?? I have
to name it as something like sgd.test.com where the zone within the
named.conf file then can be called test and the zone file records then
become:

IN NS ns-m.test.com.
ns-m.test.com. IN A 192.168.2.24
sgd.test.com. IN A 192.168.2.24

Am I right in assuming this??

Thank you for your patience and sorry for being slow with all of this :-)