root and in-addr.arpa zone transfers

omight omight at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 07:40:23 UTC 2009

Apparently FreeBSD only slaves F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET in it's default
configuration for bind:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/namedb/named.conf
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/namedb/named.conf?rev=1.21.2.9;content-type=text%2Fplain

<SNIP>
/*	Slaving the following zones from the root name servers has some
	significant advantages:
	1. Faster local resolution for your users
	2. No spurious traffic will be sent from your network to the roots
	3. Greater resilience to any potential root server failure/DDoS

	On the other hand, this method requires more monitoring than the
	hints file to be sure that an unexpected failure mode has not
	incapacitated your server.  Name servers that are serving a lot
	of clients will benefit more from this approach than individual
	hosts.  Use with caution.

	To use this mechanism, uncomment the entries below, and comment
	the hint zone above.
*/
/*
zone "." {