root and in-addr.arpa zone transfers

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Fri Sep 11 11:35:55 UTC 2009

In article <mailman.469.1252646962.14796.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie at is.it-management.at> wrote:

> On Freitag 11 September 2009 Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> > However, as M. Bortzmeyer has said, why do this?
>
> Faster queries after a named restart. ...

How often do you restart named?  We hit our master once a day, in the
early hours but that's just habit and I've always thought we were a bit
hyperactive.  The slaves only get hit for upgrades or problems.

> ... Reverse lookups faster too, good
> for the spam filters.

Only the first few, until the relevant X.in-addr.arpa NS records are
cached. How many X in *.X.in-addr.arpa do you get spam from?

Sam