Modified a zone, so when it becomes available?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 17 03:31:48 UTC 2009

In article <mailman.515.1253137285.14796.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Robert Spangler <mlists at zoominternet.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 September 2009 02:52, Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago wrote:
>
> >  El mar, 15-09-2009 a las 17:27 -0400, Robert Spangler escribió:
> >  > On Tuesday 15 September 2009 08:16, Frank Stanek wrote:
> >  > >  Please forgive my naivety if this is totally wrong but
> >  > >  I don't have a chrooted bind environment to verify this atm.
> >  >
> >  > I run a chroot environment
> >  >
> >  > >  But doesn't the init script in some distributions copy the
> >  > >  configuration files (including zone files) into the chroot
> >  > >  joil because bind cannot access them in /etc from there?
> >  >
> >  > Not that I am aware of.  If you know of a distro that does this let us
> >  > know. A chroot'ed bind has no knowledge of anything outside of it's
> >  > chroot environment so the files have to exist there.
> >
> >  I just link the chrooted file named.conf to /etc/bind/named.conf, so the
> >  file in /etc is actually a link to the file within then chrooted
> >  environment.
>
> In my environment I have the other way.  named.conf, named.zones and rndc.key
> in /etc are linked to the chroot enviroment.

If you're talking about hard links, there is no directionality.  All
hard links are equivalent pointers to the same inode.

Symbolic links, on the other hand, are pointers from one filename to
another.  A symbolic link in a chroot environment can't point outside of
it, because the target is interpreted relative to the chroot.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA